Monday, September 30, 2013

Race Recap: 3rd Annual For Kids Sake 5K/10K

This past Saturday (September 27th, 2013), I ran the 10K race as part of the 3rd Annual For Kids' Sake 5K/10K Fundraiser in Carbondale, Illinois.  I finished with a time of 59:49, good enough for first place in my age group (45-50).

Here's my race report:

This was my third time doing this local fundraiser.  It's for an organization called For Kids' Sake, which runs orphanages and schools in Bangladesh.  The race is for a great cause and always turns into a great party after the races are done.

I haven't done a race in a while, so it was time for an attitude adjustment.  My first priority for all future races is to finish strong with no injuries, to enjoy the event, and to never sprint (to use a consistent, steady pace). I want a scrapbook of good running memories from here on out. If PRs happen, they do.

The race this year was on a Friday evening, a change from previous years. The 10K race started at 5:30; the 5K at 6.  Very few people were doing the 10K, which let me know I would probably get an age group placement. I am much more of a 10K person than a 5K person--I'd rather run long than run fast.

It was odd to have finished my first three miles and then suddenly be surrounded by 5K runners barreling onto the course. But I welcomed the company, even as I had to dodge little kids (who tend to stop and start). My favorite 5Ker was dressed as Superman.

I heard lots of applause on the course from student volunteers (the lovely ladies of the SIUC Black Women's Task Force).  But I had to tell the fraternity boys who were also volunteering to cheer for me ("come on, guys, gimme some love!" I yelled at the gentlemen from Alpha Tau Omega)!

I finished in 59:49, just under a hour, which was my goal. It was slower than last year's time, but hey, I'm slower than last year!  I was happy to have finished feeling good.

As I waited around for the awards ceremony, I got to see the post-race block party that breaks out after this event.  There's lots of food, free massages and cookies for the runners, and a DJ playing music (the crowd started dancing when "Crazy In Love" came on, and really started boogying to "Blurred Lines"). Right before the awards were given out, the young women of the Black Women's Task Force and the young men of Alpha Tau Omega, along with the CrossFitters and the Liferunners, were all country line-dancing to Steve Earle's "Copperhead Road." What a sight!  Speaking of CrossFitters, they dominated the 5K, including one very pregnant woman who ran very fast!

I love this race--it's a good time for a good cause, and I'll turn out as long as For Kids' Sake holds this event.  For more on this charity, visit <forkidssake.net>.

No comments:

Post a Comment